Grade Level: Grades 7-8
Subject: Road Safety
Time required: 60 minutes
- HPE – Healthy Living Strand
- LL – Language and Literacy
- Distribute Appendix 1: School Safety Zone to your students.
- Go over a brief lesson summary and ask students to analyze the neighbourhood in the picture and identify all the safety issues they can see.
- Discuss which safety concerns the students identified and the ones they may have missed.
- Using Appendix 2: Travelling Through Distractions as a guide, play a game that simulates safety issues related to transportation.
- Alternate groups so that everyone has a chance to be on both the “pedestrian” and “dangers” teams.
- Discuss how the students were distracted when crossing the playing field during the game.
- Compare what happened in the game to some real-life situations.
- Encourage students to think of safe ways to avoid and reduce risky situations—for themselves as well as others. For example, don’t listen to music while biking.
Use Appendix 3: Rubric to assess students.
- An understanding of risky behaviours related to road safety and how to avoid them.
- Oral/Comprehension: Listen in order to understand and respond appropriately in a variety of situations for a variety of purposes.
- Reading/Comprehension: Read and demonstrate an understanding of a variety of literary, graphic and informational texts, using a range of strategies to construct meaning.